I am not lowering this until someone gives me the respect of another person’s knuckles tapping against mine in a light, but decisive manner.
Pretty, pretty? Pretty, pretty? Pretty, pretty, pretty?
Then know this. Until it gets what it wants, neigh deserves, this fist will not yield.
IT WILL NOT YIELD!
"I Heart NJ"
How I Met Your Mother
Last night’s episode of HIMYM, while not a classic, did a great job of moving some key storylines along and definitely set the stage for many episodes to come. The best part, in my opinion, was Barney’s absolute dedication to the completion of a dap, or as it is commonly known, the fist bump. Barney’s love of the fist bump is so strong he even wrote a post on his blog last night dedicated solely to the “only acceptable form of bro-to-bro contact.” (link) You can read Barney’s latest blog post here or below in its entirety:
The fist bump. One bro's way of telling another bro: "clever joke" or "thanks for taking the heffer so I could get the hottie" or "don't worry, I won't tell your girlfriend/wife." It's essentially the only acceptable form of bro-to-bro contact with the obvious exception of the high five. While the fist bump has gained much notoriety in the past few years, its origins date back to the dawn of bro-kind. But one thing has withstood the test of time - don't ever put your fist down until it's been most properly bumped.
Can you match these momentous fist bumps over the course of history with their place on the timeline?
- Eli Whitney fist bumps cotton
- God fist bumps Adam
- Rocky vs. Drago fist bump before their fight in Rocky IV
- Martin Luther fist bumps his 95 theses onto the door of the church
- Tommie Smith and John Carlos fist bump atop the Olympic podium
- Barack Obama fist bumps his wife, Michelle
- Hieroglyphics in Egypt depict a Pharaoh fist bumping a cat
- China builds the great wall to prevent the Mongolians from fist bumping them into oblivion
- Chuck Yeager breaks the sound/fist bump barrier (Other guy's arm falls off - never done again)
- Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin make the first space fist bump
- The first ever alien/Homo sapien fist bump